Thursday, August 22, 2013

No More Privileged

Although I do not read newspaper daily, an image on the front page of today's New York Times caught my eye.  I was making a quick lunch stop at Starbucks, hanging out by the counter, waiting for my drinks to be made.  And there it was: a row of dead bodies laying on the street, wrapped in white cloth, under the headline that confirms death.



Maybe it was the sweet face of an innocent baby, or the other children that were in the picture, or maybe it was the reality of death that seemed so cruel and untimely, that hit me so hard.  It made me think about the life I live.  I have always considered myself blessed beyond measure: a wonderful job, a loving family, a means of comfortable living.  My reality knows no war or hunger.  I do not know what it feels like to walk out of the house and fear for my life.  Knowing all of this, I am also sure that my life, my existence, and my circumstances are no more important than those losing their innocent lives in Syria or Egypt.

My heart goes out to the innocent civilians of the countries that are fighting wars that can not be won.  My spirit cries out, "Come, Lord Jesus...".

No comments:

Post a Comment